Friday, September 28, 2012

Weekly Update-September 28th

Dear Families,
It has been a wonderful week of learning in room 27.  We are wrapping up chapter one in math.  The children took their first math exam today.  We will begin multiplication on Monday. 

We visited Miss O'Neil in the Science Lab this week.  The children conducted an experiment where they placed an expanding sea creature toy into a cup of fresh or salt water.  They will be recording the effect the salinity has on its growth. 

In the computer lab we completed our Prezis and presented to the class.  The kids did an outstanding job. The Prezis will only get better as the year goes on.  Our next computer project will be on U.S. Presidents.

We have reached a pivotal moment in our read aloud, Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.  The main character has changed schools and continues to face the challenges of being "wired".  We are all rooting for Joey to be successful at his new school. 

In Writer's Workshop, we wrote entries about family holidays and traditions.  We will be picking a seed idea and moving towards publishing soon. 

In Social Studies, we reviewed the basic principles of government and important U.S. documents.  We will be delving further into this topic next week.  We are requesting each child bring in a hanger for a special project related to the three levels of government.

We are so proud of our first blog.  Please let us know what you think of it by posting a comment.  Thank you!
-Alites

7 comments:

  1. Hello Team Alites,

    WOW!! What an awesome job on the first blog for your class - I LOVE IT!! I learned so much information about all the wonderful things you have been working on over the last week. I cannot wait to check out your Prezis - I am sure they are much better than anything I could have done.

    On another note, I would love to hear your thoughts on Joey Pigza because that happens to be one of my favorite books that I used to read with my 5th grade students.

    Keep up the awesome work - BRAVO!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Sinanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just read the blog to the kids. We can't wait to hear all your comments from home.
    -Alites

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Great job, it sure is nice to be filled in on all the great learning and fun things going on in the class!
    I'm really looking forward to reading more. Keep working hard Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I love hearing about all the different things you are working on! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all my years at Cantiague, there has never been anything this interactive & exciting. I am so happy to be able to hear about all the goings on in class! I am so proud of all the Alites...keep having fun while learning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice summary of a truly pivotal week. I think this will help parents get a feel of what life is like in the Alites classroom. I can't wait to show my parents next week's blog. Thank you and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great summary of an exciting week. I'm very happy to see the class following the election news on CNN.

    ReplyDelete